Monday, February 21, 2011

100th Blog

Today’s blog is my 100th blog. Thanks to all of you who have been faithful readers from the beginning. Welcome to you who have just come aboard. A big thanks to those of you who have shared the site with others. It’s always gratifying to a writer to have their words shared.
For years, I’ve wanted to do a column that was short, provocative, touching and sometimes funny. I thought that in this busy, tumultuous world there was a place for such a column. Something that would only take a few minutes to read but would keep the reader thinking for the rest of the day. Maybe even fill some of those empty hollow places we all have within us.
I put some together. I shared them with a variety of people. The feedback was good. I sent samples to local newspapers. Nothing happened. I sent to more newspapers. Nothing happened. I finally gave in to today’s technology and asked my son to teach me to blog. “The view from my side of the street” was born.
At first, I intended for open dialogue among readers- I’d write my story and thought then readers would share their stories and thoughts on the same subject. I envisioned it following a similar pattern as discussions with my friends. I was looking forward to having my horizons widened by other points of view.
I had not taken into account how insanely busy everyone is. I realize now that I was asking a lot just for people to make time in their day to even read the blog. How grateful I am to all of you who do!
When I first was divorced I was unable to get a job due to the fact that I had been a stay at home mom for 20 yrs. I ended up starting my own cleaning business. It was very successful but as most of my clients were not home when I cleaned and nobody ever called at the end of the day to say “my toilet looks great!” I wondered if I was doing a good enough job.
I shared my concerns with a wonderful older wiser woman. She looked me in the eye and asked, “Are you busy?” Yes. “Do they have you come back?” Yes. “Are they telling other people about you?” Yes. “That means they think you’re good! Quit worrying about it.”
And so- I am applying that same litmus test to this blog on its 100th birthday- Are people reading it? Yes. Are people sharing it? Yes. Are they coming back to read more? Yes. So on to the next 100. So far, it’s been a great journey- I guess we just hold on and enjoy- Wheeeeeeeeee!
That’s the view from my side of the street, what’s yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment