Friday, February 11, 2011

Hell in a Handbasket

OK. Have you heard of or seen the clip from “Family Feud” that has us all going to hell in a hand basket? I laughed so loud that I woke my husband up as I watched it. Crying was probably a more appropriate reaction but the situation was unbelievably funny.
I will try to retell the story but I’m not sure I can do it justice. The question being asked was “name something that gets passed around.” There were 6 answers. The quickest contestant answered, “A joint.” The audience and other contestants burst out laughing. The contestant was obviously embarrassed as the laughter continued.
The host responded with the statement, “I’m not sure what 100 people you think we surveyed but I don’t think that middle America being questioned in a mall would answer the survey with an illegal drug, do you?” The laughter continued. He asked the board to reveal if “a joint” was one of the answers. IT WAS! It was answer #5.
The host walked away from the podium shaking his head in disbelief. When he returned, he quietly spoke into the mic- “We are going to hell.” Turning to the other contestant, he asked for her response mentioning that there were 4 answers more popular than “a joint”. She replied, “the collection plate at church”. More laughter and bantering ensued. The comment was made that she was trying to save us. The other contestant said that she has the halo and he has the horns. The host than asked the board to reveal if her answer was on there. It was- in 6th place right after “a joint”.
By now the place was roaring with disbelieving laughter as was I. Again, the host walked away for a moment shaking his head. Upon returning to the mic, he paused and again spoke quietly into it, “This is not good.” That was the end of the clip.
I happen to think that this clip is a very good commentary on the world today. It should be a wake up call to all of us. I recently read about a parents group trying to get a certain book banned in a local school curriculum. They were concerned about some bad language and sexual content. I have read the book. I have also worked with teenagers and spent time at the school.
I want to tell these concerned parents to stand in the halls of their children’s school between classes and listen. Today’s kids have this stuff all around them in real life. They deal with worse language and sexual content than what is in that book. We SHOULD be concerned! We should be VERY concerned!!
Our children are growing up in a world in which more people have experience passing around joints than church plates. Shouldn’t we be teaching them how to cope with their world and not how to hide their heads like ostriches and pretend it doesn’t exist?
That’s the view from my side of the street, what’s yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment