Monday, March 14, 2011

Temper Tantrums

Brent and I used to teach the nursery class at our church. The ages were 18 months to 3 years old. We loved it!! It was hectic but exciting as we watched them become accustom to the routine. We also were able to be silly. We don’t get to do that enough today.
There was one 2yr old girl who was having a hard time being left by her parents. One parent stayed every Sunday to help her make the adjustment. This went on for longer than usual. One day I suggested that they just leave her with us. I felt that she knew us, was comfortable with us and played well with everyone. I thought she was ready. She was. But boy, she was angry about the whole thing!
She screamed and cried but she was willing to cuddle on my lap as she did. I held her, sang softly to her, rocked her and talked to her. We also continued class as normally as possible. With typical toddler innocence, her class members brought her toys, patted her back and ignored her in turn.
She calmed down a little but still refused to turn around on my lap and participate. I’ll try to explain what happened next. I looked over her head at all the fun she was missing by being mad. The only one she was really hurting was herself. She didn’t get to play. She refused snack. She sat on my lap pouting throughout dance time.
I whispered in her ear, “Oh, sweet girl, I wish I could tell you that it gets better but it doesn’t. You will be having this same battle for the rest of your life. It is a battle with your self. You are missing out on so many things because you don’t want to do what you know you should. If only you could see it the way I do. You would stop crying, get down and be part of the fun. You are loved and those around you want what is best for you.”
At this moment a picture jumped into my head. It was me sitting on my Father’s lap. I was crying. I was saying “No, I don’t want to!” He was rocking me gently, singing to me softly and whispering in my ear, “Oh, sweet girl, I wish I could tell you it gets better but it doesn’t. You will be having this same battle for the rest of your life. It is a battle with your self. You are missing out on so many things because you don’t want to do what you know you should. If only you could see it the way I do. You would stop crying, get down and be part of the fun. You are loved and those around you want what is best for you.”
I was reminded of this lesson during this past week as I did major battle with myself. There have been plenty of times that I have screamed into my pillow- “No, I don’t want to!!” There have also been plenty of times that I finally have said- “Your will not mine”. It is then that I feel His love wash over me and blessings that I could not have foreseen come forth.
That’s the view from my side of the street, what’s yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment