Friday, January 25, 2013

Me....a hypocrite?

My daughters love the TV show “Glee”. While at my house this summer they staged a “Glee” marathon thru Netflix. I watched a few episodes with them and have to confess that I see the attraction. Although I feel that the story lines are barely a step above a soap opera, the music performances are enticing. I did, however, get sick of the “drama” at one point and forbade them watching anymore while here. I got sick of walking in to my living room to see kissing of all kinds going on. There was boy/boy kissing, girl/girl kissing, boy/girl kissing, girl/man kissing, well, you get the picture.


My asking them to stop watching did NOT go over well. It led to a rather intense discussion about values. I shared that there were so many other things that were more worth spending time on. I explained that watching things like that make them more acceptable. I agreed that watching the singing was fun but that was such a small part of the show. I explained the difference between things that entertain us and things that uplift us. Oh, I was on a roll that day for sure. The ban on “Glee” remains in effect to this day.

And then came the new fall lineup on TV. I saw the enticing ads while watching “Dancing with the Stars” online. I was not enticed by shows with names like, “Revenge” or “Scandal” but there was a new show called “Nashville” that looked good. I love country music! So I started watching it. Yes, there was a lot of drama. Yes, it was very soap opera-y. But the music was so good and watching the behind the scenes of how music is made was fascinating. And I really wasn’t paying attention to all the kissing and sleeping around. I was watching for the songs and ………..halfway through the season I realized…..I sound just like my daughters defending their desire to watch “Glee”. Oh, no!

If I thought that “Glee” was just a soap opera for teens and “Nashville” was an adult version of “Glee” and I won’t let my girls watch “Glee” but I want to watch “Nashville”…….OMGosh….I am a hypocrite!!! This is a disaster!! Either I have to give up “Nashville” or let the girls watch “Glee”.

It’s not really that hard of a decision. I meant the things I said to my daughters about carefully choosing to spend time with uplifting things. I will give up my guilty pleasure. No more “Nashville” for me. And since I really do like the music I should get by just fine with buying the soundtrack, right? Maybe this isn’t going to be so easy after all. That’s the view from my side of the street, what’s yours?



No comments:

Post a Comment