Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Independence Day


Tomorrow is the United States of America birthday. It is Independence Day. The moment that the great men who started this country signed the Declaration of Independence they became criminals. They and others like them were committing treason and were ready to lose everything including their lives to fight for the freedom they believed in. They had to do wrong in order to do what they thought was right.

Families, friends, neighbors were divided by these beliefs. While many wanted freedom from England, others wanted to stay British citizens. There were some who didn't care. They just wanted to be left alone not taking sides. Those who did make a stand did so with great courage and conviction.

In honor of the day, I found some quotes made by these men and women who put everything on the line for freedom of thought, beliefs, religion, etc. I felt that they were all still relevant today.

“He is an American, who, leaving behind all his ancient prejudices and manners, receives new ones from the new mode of life he has embraced, the new government he obeys, and the new rank he holds. He becomes an American by being received in the broad lap of our great Alma Mater. Here individuals of all nations are melted into a new race of men, whose labors and posterity will one day cause great changes in the world.” St. John de Crevecouer.

“I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know of no other way of judging of the future but by the past.” Patrick Henry

“Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time, for that is the stuff life is made of.” “Content makes poor men rich; discontent makes rich men poor.” “Experience keeps a dear school, but fools will learn in no other.” “Honesty always makes the best policy.” Benjamin Franklin

“These are times that try men's souls.” Thomas Paine

“Resolved, never to do anything which I should be afraid to do if it were the last hour of my life.” Jonathan Edwards

“Labor to keep alive that little spark of celestial fire, called Conscience.” “I hope I shall always possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an “Honest Man.” George Washington

“Honesty, sincerity, and openness I esteem essential marks of a good mind” John Adams

And finally from Thomas Jefferson- “The time to guard against corruption and tyranny is before they shall have gotten hold of us. It is better to keep the wolf out of the fold than to trust to drawing his teeth and talons after he shall have entered.”

This 4th I'm going to think about the things that are important to me and what I would be willing to fight for. I'm also going to be thankful for those who risked everything to establish a land of liberty and those who gave their all in defending it. That's the view from my side of the street, what's yours?





No comments:

Post a Comment