Friday, June 28, 2013

Another Week in Paradise

Don’t you just love how you are just going through your life as best you can when it throws some whammies your way? And BAM! You are down for the count. I don’t know if it’s the same in your life but in mine it seems like a bunch of smaller whammies always precede the big one.
Take this past week for example. It started with my husband getting five unpaid days off from the brand new company that has taken over trucking at the plant where he works. We were told at the beginning that this would never happen. If the plant shut down they would be put to work at another one. Not.
We can’t afford five days off because this company pays per load not per hour as did the plant. Since it is a transition time, there haven’t been enough loads for anyone to make any money at. Add to the two week waiting time, the three months without insurance time, well, you get the picture. We made the best out of it and completed many around the house projects.
The night he went back to work (of course), the kitchen sinks clogs up and overflows while the dishwasher is running. I didn’t notice this because I was outside watering my flowerbeds.  I walked in to a flooded kitchen. Great.  Cleaned it up, poured stuff down the drain, waited, tried again, nope, went to store, got more stuff, poured it in, nope, took the pipes apart under the sink, cleaned them out, put them back, tried again, nope. I did manage to get it to drain in slow motion. So it drained all week until he could get to it.
The tiny paycheck he did get this week was supposed to be deposited automatically in our account. Although we were the first ones to get all the paperwork turned in and were promised that this was the week it would be done, it wasn’t. Causing an overdraw when our insurance payment was taken out.
In the meantime, getting the money off the payment card they gave him is enough to make even him go postal. He’s the calmest person I know! If you mess up you have to wait twenty four hours to try again. Meanwhile we’re looking in the couch for change to get him gas to go to work.
He gets gas, drives to Hermiston for work to be told that the trucks are now in Boardman (where we live) so he turns around and heads back. There went the ten dollars worth of gas we scraped together.
Despite my best efforts at annihilation, the ants are back in my kitchen and the flies on my back porch. My dogs were sprayed by skunks three times this week. Oh, goody! Let the summer games begin.
Oh, well, just another week in paradise as my husband says. At least we weren’t hit by a tornado. That’s the view from my side of the street, what’s yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment