Monday, June 3, 2013

Love Gifts

I want to talk about gifts today. Not the kind that come in packages and are wrapped up in pretty paper and bows, I want to talk about the gifts life gives to us. Many times I think we are so wrapped up in “whatever” that we miss them. Yesterday was full of gifts for me. I want to share them.


I awoke yesterday morning feeling emotionally drained and shattered. I had been blindsided by some news and an event that I should have seen coming. Actually, I did sort of see it coming. I just wasn’t prepared for how it would make me feel. I had been crying off and on (mostly on) for two days. I didn’t even want to get out of bed to face the day ahead.

I reluctantly got dressed and ready for church. I hate going to church or anywhere when I feel so emotionally fragile but I knew I needed to. My first gift came as I entered the building. A friend gave me a giant hug and whispered an encouraging message. She had no idea of what had happened. I didn’t tell her. I just thanked her for the hug and said “I needed that.”

The next gift was a joke from another friend that brought an unexpected laugh from me. Then I met a stranger and in welcoming him I made a friend. Then a dear older friend told me a love story. It was about how he and his wife met. It touched my heart and cheered me up. The meeting itself brought much comfort and strength as did partaking of the sacrament… the best gift.

I was taken aside by a soul mate friend and I poured my heart out to her. I knew it was safe in her hands and she didn’t tell me it would all be alright. She understood and grieved with me. Together we found some positives in the negative situation. That was another one of the best gifts.

At home I was able to Skype with my son’s family and wish my five year old grandson “Happy Birthday”. My husband and I had a chance to have a heart to heart talk with two of my daughters. I received a visit from a daughter I haven’t seen for a while. I met two of her friends and had a nice visit with them. I was even told that I’m a talented writer (many thanks for that, Chelsea)!

I even had a chance to save a life. It is a baby magpie’s life but it’s a life all the same. I’m sure that I will expound on that in another blog. I was greeted by a neighbor’s dogs like a long lost friend and that neighbor herself held me in her arms and gave me words of kindness (thank you, Jan)!

And last night, when everyone was gone (except MJ the magpie) instead of feeling sorry for myself or crawling into bed to cry myself to sleep, I was at peace. Exhausted but at peace. All the gifts I had received that day flooded my mind and I realized that I am very blessed.

Thank you to each and every one of you that made my day endurable. And thanks again to a loving Father in Heaven who sends us these angels on earth to minister to us in our times of need. I’m convinced we all get these gifts but I don’t think many of us recognize them as such. So open your eyes and your hearts and look for your gifts. They are there somewhere.

That’s the view from my side of the street, what’s yours?



1 comment:

  1. I hope you start to feel better. Know that God is in the details of our lives. It was very nice to meet you yesterday.

    ReplyDelete