Monday, December 23, 2013

Christmas Parade


Another favorite Christmas memory of mine is the Christmas Parade. This happened a few decades ago when I was young, energetic and knew no limits. Our small Maine town had a Christmas parade after Thanksgiving each year. I think it was meant to start the shopping fever. The floats were beautifully designed and promoted by the town's stores. The final float held an amazingly “real” Santa's workshop. There in full glory was the old man himself waving and ho-ho-hoing for all he was worth. His elves threw out candy to the cheers of the children and dismay of most of the parents.

One particular year I stood on the sidewalk with my children and watched the entire parade. As I watched each float go by, I wondered at the emptiness I was feeling. The floats were pretty but meaningless. I realized that the more spiritual side of Christmas was being neglected. I thought, “There really should be a religious float included. After all, it is Christmas, the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. Or a Hanukkah float or well...something to feed our souls.”

In true Walter Middy fashion, I began to visualize this float. First, music....probably couldn't get the Mormon Tabernacle Choir but well, maybe speakers playing their music. Next, some beautifully costumed figures representing Joseph, Mary, the Wise Men and shepherds. Maybe some real animals... oh, yes, it would be so awesome. I wasn't in a position to do this myself but I did speak to a few people at my church. Nothing.

A year passed. Two weeks before the parade was scheduled, I was given the calling of PR director for my church. The first thing I thought of was my vision of the Christmas Parade float. Whoo-hoo! I could do this! I contacted town officials, squeaked by the deadlines and voila, I had a float permit. Now what could I do in a week?

One member of the church had a flatbed truck for his lumber yard. Another provided hay bales to line the edges to keep participants from falling. One more built a simple manger. One young man provided the signs we attached to the front and back of the truck. The front sign stated “That God so loved the world...” and the back sign read, “ that He gave His only Begotten Son.”

No time for any kind of music rigging or for fancy costumes. Children played the parts of the Nativity scene dressed in towels and sheets. One pet lamb was tied on with the children. It was simple. It was plain. As a matter of fact, as the floats lined up before beginning, all we had was the truck. Parade officials looked at us very strangely. I assured them all was well and hid behind a tree as I cried in frustration.

Slowly but surely it began to come together. Children were still being loaded on as we took our first corner. I sat in the cab with my husband driving and a baby on my lap. I had failed God. I was so embarrassed that I wanted to hide my face. But as I apologized in prayer for such a plain and simple float, my being was filled with warmth and I heard these words in my heart, “And she brought forth her first born son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.” Luke1:7

More tears fell but they were tears of joy and understanding. Jesus' birth was simple and plain...and incredible. I began now to notice the reactions of the crowd. I saw some crying, I heard people holler out their thank yous, I watched fathers hold up their children to see “the baby Jesus”. Along the entire parade route people broke into spontaneous clapping and the float received more than one standing ovation.

I thought that perhaps others had felt as empty as I had with earlier parades. I though of how hungry we all are for spiritual experiences. But mostly, I was feeling thankful for the plain and simple beginning to an extraordinary life that has changed so many lives including mine.

I hope we will all take moments this holiday season to celebrate life with all it's ups and downs and maybe even send a whispered “Thank you” heavenward. That's the view from my side of the street, what's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment