Monday, December 2, 2013

Sabbatical


In July I decided to take a little time off from my writing. You know....a vacation like most people get. Little did I know that a one month planned sabbatical would evolve into a five month forced time off. It would have been impossible to guess that I would not only give up my writing but find myself offline for such an extended period of time. But a number of heated arguments with our phone/internet provider about lousy service and elevated rates lead to a mutual disconnect agreement. I had no idea how hard it was going to be to find a new provider in our tiny country town.

Some providers don't come out “this far”. Others made promises they could not keep , apparently our trees interfere too much with their signals. Still others sound good but if you use your internet for everything as we were accustomed to doing, it could get quite costly! In the meantime, life marched on at a rather steady speed and I found myself caring less and less about getting “hooked up”.

But eventually it became essential once again. I have missed pictures and notes from friends and family. I have missed Skyping with my grandchildren. But I truly missed INFORMATION! I can't tell you how many times a day I headed to my desk to look up something...important somethings...trivial somethings...even life saving somethings. The first day I was online I spent half the night checking into my sister in laws strange symptoms. The doctors haven't known what is wrong with her but By, George, I think I've got it!

It has taken me another week, however, to feel ready to start my blog up again. Just like any other routine we let go, I have forgotten how to do this. So if you are an old reader, give me a few blogs to get back up to speed. If you are a new one, be patient, it might be worth it. My life has changed in so many ways over the past five months. I hope I can get back with the program and make the time to do this thing I love so much. That's the view from my side of the street, what's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment