Friday, August 13, 2010

Stupid

I did something so stupid today. I say that like it’s an unusual event. It’s not. Whoever said “wisdom comes with age” forgot the rest of the story. Wisdom does come with age but hand in hand with it is stupid.


I have had many of life’s lessons along my road. I could probably bring about world peace but I can’t find my car outside of Wal-Mart!

So back to today, my hubby took my car to town (better gas mileage, you know), and left me his old pickup. I had to run to the bank for one quick transaction so I didn’t care. I was almost there when I remembered that if the engine was shut off it would not start again for about 10 minutes.

I had planned to use the drive-thru but our bank requests that vehicles are turned off while at the window. It was such a short transaction that I felt I could park and leave the motor running with no problem.

I was feeling somewhat pleased with myself as I turned into the parking spot, put the truck in park and promptly turned it off. I realized as I was turning the key but it was too late. The engine was off!

I entered the bank shaking my head and laughing. The teller who was about my age looked at me inquiringly, I told her what I had done. She laughed along with me. A younger teller also laughed but she was looking at both us with gentle sympathy as we shared other stupid moments.

My worst stupid moment is as I head out the door to somewhere. I grab my keys, my bag, sunglasses and then make a futile search for my cell phone. I end up expressing my frustration at not being able to find it to whomever it is I’m talking to on the phone. There is a strange silence and then comes the question, “What are you talking to me on?” DAH!!

The teller then was encouraged to tell me that she hunts for her glasses only to be told by her husband that she is wearing them!

We ended the conversation by agreeing that these moments are caused by the fact that our brains have so much in them that they are suffering from overload. That in fact we are so smart that we’re stupid. Hey, I buy that!

Well, that’s the view from my side of the street. What’s yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment