Friday, August 20, 2010

TV

I spent a few days watching television last week. I didn’t mean to. I had made the ten hour trip to visit children and grandchildren. They very kindly shared a flu bug with me. Since staying in close proximity to a bathroom seemed the wisest choice, I vegged on the couch and watched TV.


We have not had regular TV for a number of years. At first it was disconnected due to a payment dispute. We had been on auto pay for several years with no problem. Someone in their office typed the wrong number in and we were shutoff. I was pissy about the way they were treating the problem so I refused to reconnect. We were already thru our TV withdrawal period by then anyway!

Then we were on the road trucking and didn’t need it. Next we were way too busy with our management job to have time and we didn’t have the right kind of television anyway.When it again became an option, we looked at the life we were building without it and decided we really didn’t want it after all. Here are a few of the reasons why.

We loved the peace and quiet in our home, which lead to peace and quiet in our hearts and minds. It gave us time to think and commune with ourselves. We began listening to music more. We talked to each other more. We listened to each other better. We read more, sang more and a few times danced.

We called friends and family more often to fill in those “empty” hours. We found that connecting with real people in our lives was way more fulfilling than keeping caught up with TV people.

We went to bed earlier. Instead of staring at the tube until we passed out every night, we might watch a movie or Netflix and we go to bed when it’s over. We don’t get caught up in what’s on next. The blank screen wasn’t too inviting!

We realized that we were actually getting a lot done everyday. It was hard to admit how many hours we were really spending just doing nothing but sitting and staring. We found out that our quality of life had improved greatly so we choose to “just say no” to the TV drug.But as I said, last week found me tasting just a little bit and I found some new reasons to be glad we don’t have it.

Channel surfing- what’s up with that? It gives everyone an attention span of what 2 minutes? If you’re going to watch a show, watch it! I’m wondering if it’s a commitment problem……

Reality shows- I’m afraid that everyone is so busy watching other people’s lives that they are forgetting to live their own.

Food shows- No wonder we are all getting fat, who can watch these shows and not be hungry?

News networks- you can watch all day but you are still only getting the information they want you to have. We should be getting our information from more than one source.

Commercials- I realized how much I LOVE not having my home bombarded by salesman all day! It doesn’t bother me that I don’t know about the latest movies, sex aids, diets, cleaning products, etc. And you know what- even after years of not watching, there was still nothing good to watch!

That’s the view from my side of the street. What's yours?

2 comments:

  1. You use the imperial "we" too often. Who is "we"? I understand the point you are trying to make but it is disjointed and the reader is distracted from it by the fact that you open talking about watching TV when sick, and then go on about the many evils of it. You never explain how you are watching TV either. You say you had it disconnected but you never mention when it was reconnected. Try grounding the reader with details about your home. The color of your couch, what your TV physically looks like, precise descriptions of what you were feeling, etc. Also check grammar and spelling throughout the piece. You have a lot of potential if you are willing to hone each piece and make the writing more relate-able.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had an interesting thought about reality TV the other day. Whoever thought up that name was very clever, trying to pass off what they call 'Reality TV' as reality. It isn't my reality, nor do I want it to be. We also do not get any TV channels. We watch Netflix and movies. No commercials. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete