Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Popcorn Popping

Popcorn is an amazing food. I’m not even quite sure what food group it is in. I’m thinking grain but it could be vegetable or if it’s the microwave kind, it could qualify for the fat group.


I haven’t meant very many people who hate it. It’s inexpensive and healthy if you air pop it and add your own flavoring. When all my children were home, we made it almost every day. It’s a great snack food. I know one couple who have it for supper every once and awhile. Our family has been known to eat it for breakfast. We have also eaten it in place of saltines when we’ve had upset tummies in the house. We use a certain hardware and also a tire store because they have free popcorn.

My very old cookbook has several recipes for popcorn- the classic popcorn ball, caramel corn, popcorn and milk, and popcorn pudding. I’m thinking of trying that one.

It’s almost impossible to NOT buy it if you go to the movies, even though you might have to sell one of your children to afford it. If one person in a household makes it, EVERYONE is going to want some. The aroma drifts through the house enticing the entire household to ask, “Is that popcorn?” It smells heavenly when cooked right and well, like hell, if it gets burnt.

Case in point- Brent and I were trucking during the Christmas holidays a few years ago. We were spending Christmas Eve at a truck stop in Oklahoma City. The TV room was packed with other truckers. The store was packed with travelers getting gas and food while heading to Grandma’s or wherever. I had brought a couple of bags of micro corn in with me. There was no microwave in the truckers lounge so I ventured into the crowded store. I found it in a far corner, set down under the counter. The store was so loud that I had to sit on the floor to listen to the popping to make sure there was no burning. Within seconds, I heard the comments, “Is that popcorn?” People began looking for the source. I crouched even lower.

The crowd converged on the checkout girl, “Do you have a popcorn machine?” She was as confused as they were. They were still looking every where. I tried to get smaller. Everything I’d ever heard about angry mobs was going through my head. After what felt like hours, the popcorn was done. I hid the bags under my coat and snuck into the TV lounge.

I had just settled down with my husband to watch the movie when I heard murmuring in the back row, “Does anyone smell popcorn? Do they sell hot popcorn here?”

We put the bags under our coats and made a quick getaway out the side door. It wasn’t that we were afraid of our safety as much as we were afraid of having to answer the question- “Your popcorn or your life?”

“Umm, can we think about it?” That’s the view from my side of the street, what’s yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment