Monday, April 11, 2011

Cats and dogs

We met a delightful older woman last week. While there we found ourselves in the age old discussion of cats versus dogs. She was a vehement dog person with a Siamese cat. Of course, we wanted to hear the story behind it.
The cat belonged to her late husband. Over the years her dog companions have passed away but the cat still remains. Their relationship resembles that of two crotchety old ladies who put up with each other for conveniences’ sake. They tolerate one another.
My husband swears that he is not a cat person but I’ve seen him with our cats and kittens so I don’t buy that line anymore. He is so lovingly concerned about their well- being. He also never misses a chance to pet or cuddle with them. I have one picture of him taking a nap with five kittens all over him. I’m the one who finally banned them to the great outdoors when the cat box wars could not be resolved!
I’ve never claimed to be one or the other. I’m an animal person. I love them all. If I had to choose, I think I’d say I’m a dog person. I can live without cats if I have to but living without a dog is unimaginable. A favorite character from a favorite book puts it like this, “A cat can be a companion but it can never be a best mate like a dog.” I’d have to agree with that.
I feel like I can share my life with my dogs but the only thing I truly share with my cats is my bed and sometimes my lap.
A card I read at a truck stop somewhere in Wyoming said it this way-“ Years ago, cats were worshiped as Gods. Cats have never forgotten that.” Yup, I’d agree with that, too.
That’s the view from my side of the street, what’s yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment