Monday, April 25, 2011

Redneck Humor

My family has always enjoyed “redneck” humor. Foxworthy and the gang are some of our favorite comedians. Their stories are relevant to country folk everywhere. It wasn’t until my husband and I travelled through some of the “redneck” states that we realized how true to life the jokes are. We even came up with a few of our own.
One road we travelled took us through a number of one horse towns. Population was in the double digits and homes were few and far between. What caught our attention was that each town had at least three churches. Most often the churches were built almost side by side. “You know you’re in redneck territory when each family has its own church!”
Driving through the Ozarks, we were looking for a truckstop to spend the night at. Our truckers manual told us of one at the top of the mountain. It was rated with 4 stars. This meant a full service stop- toilets, restaurant, showers, shopping, large overnight parking lot, etc. It was late at night when we found it. I’m telling the truth- the parking lot was a potholed dirt field, the toilet that I used was falling through the rotten floor, (I held on to the wall for dear life) the men’s room was not working at all, a sign said to use the shower room, (I asked my husband- there was no toilet, he actually had to pee in the shower stall), the restaurant was a fat lady with a griddle and shopping was nonexistent. As I snuggled into bed, I wondered aloud about what a 3 star stop would look like. My husband replied, “The outhouse in the back!”
As we drove down one road, I noticed mounds of dirt by the side of the road. They were obviously made by some sort of animal. These piles were along the road for miles. I didn’t know if they were made by gophers or prairie dogs or moles. I finally asked out loud, “I wonder what the people call the animals that make these piles.” Without skipping a beat, he replied, “Dinner.”
Along a main highway in Arkansas, we passed a swampy area along the side of the road. Next to the swamp was an old couch and chair that may have fallen out of a truck but someone had positioned them towards the swamp like living room furniture. I said, “Look, Brent, it’s a redneck rest area!”
And the people we came across- they seemed like characters out of a movie. But they were staring at us as hard as we were looking at them so I’m thinking we looked the same to them. Isn’t it great that we are all so different? If only so comedians can make a living.
That’s the view from my side of the street, what’s yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment