Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Weather Patterns

About six weeks ago, I began to write a blog that started with “Listen to the rhythm of the falling rain”. We have a tin roof and I had laid in bed that morning enjoying the music of steady rain upon it. It was delightful. It was made all the more so by the fact that rain of any kind but especially steady, heavy rain is rare in these parts!
That was then. Now, I’d be more likely to say, “Damn, is it raining again?” We have had a steady flow of moisture for the past six weeks. I’ve lived in this area for ten years and have NEVER seen such moisture here! There has not been a 24 hour period without rain. This is more like western Oregon and Washington not here in the desert!
It has also been cold! Not the New England cold I used to be accustom to but the cold, damp days I am not used to here in my new part of the world. By now, we usually have our short-sleeved shirts and capris on as well as our flip-flops every day. We are likely to be busy digging and planting in our gardens, swapping plants and enjoying the great spring weather.
Flowers should be popping up all over the place. Temps should be averaging seventy not fifty. I shouldn’t be sitting at my desk wrapped in a comforter as I am at this moment. Where’s Al Gore and global warming when you need it?
It’s also been gloomy and cloudy most of the time. The only exception is when the wind blows the clouds away and we glimpse the sun. I say glimpse because to go out and bask in its light might cause your life to be in danger! Instead of the steady spring winds that normally range between 20-30mph, we are having winds that average 30-60mph.
I know full well that I have nothing really to complain about. No blizzards, earthquakes, hurricanes, or tsunamis threaten us as they do other parts of the world. For the most part, the weather here is mild and pleasant. I’m just thinking that on New Year’s Day 2011, Mother Nature got up on the wrong side of the bed. Do you think a petition might convince her to take a nap?
That’s the view from my side of the street, what’s yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment