Wednesday, September 7, 2011

To moan or not to moan?

I am speaking up today for all those men, women and children in the world who try to make the best of a bad situation. Those of us who have embraced life with all its pitfalls and just DEAL! I’m sure that you are as sick as I am of the people who assume that whatever it is you are dealing with can’t be that bad because you are not whining, complaining, staying in bed, etc.
And maybe you are a little fed up with those around you who are NOT dealing so they get all the sympathy because they ARE whining, complaining, staying in bed, etc. We wouldn’t want to be like that for anything but wouldn’t it be nice to have your Herculean efforts noticed just once in awhile?
For instance, I have fibromyalgia. I have had it for years but it was diagnosed about 8 years ago. This means that on a good day, I feel like a giant toothache. On a bad day, I feel as if I had just run a marathon, my muscles burn. On a really bad day parts of my body refuse to work. It figures that much pain must be causing damage.
So far, there are no cures for fibro. I know that I will have to live with it for the rest of my life. I do not want it to have more control over my life than it already does so I have worked hard at controlling it. This has meant some lifestyle changes. I watch what I eat and drink. I exercise regularly. Since emotions and stress can greatly affect my pain level I have learned new coping skills.
I take pain medication sparingly because I know that our bodies become accustomed to them. Over time it takes more and more to have an effect. I force myself to be active at times. I also force myself to do nothing when recharging is needed. I have remained fairly active and most people don’t know I have this problem.
But I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard someone say about another with the same problem- “So and so has fibromyalgia too. She has it really bad!” This because they went to bed and stayed there when they were diagnosed!
Another case in point, my ex-husband during the labor of our 9th child, listening to a woman in the next room moaning and screaming- “What the hell is the matter with her?!!”
So this is to all you non- woosies in the world- I feel your pain-literally! I think there is a special blessing in Heaven for us, don’t you? That’s the view from my side of the street, what’s yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment