Friday, September 16, 2011

Collapse!

I’m disgusted. I noticed the other day that one of the families who lost a loved one at the Indiana State Fair last month is preparing to sue. This sparked my interest and I began to check out the situation. My conclusion was if ever something fell into the “act of God” category, this incident was it!
Let me explain. Last month, the band Sugarland was getting ready to perform to a very packed audience at the Indiana State Fair. Just as they were about to go on stage, the sky darkened ominously and a wind gust of close to 70mph began to blow. Literally, within seconds, the entire staging area collapsed! This was not your average small town fair staging. This was huge, tall, pro’s on the road staging! The video is horrifying!
I realized as I watched that it was nothing short of a miracle that only 5 people were killed. Reading more about it I found that I was right. The only reason that the band and crew were not on stage at the time was a manager who listened to her promptings and held them back for a few minutes. They were in a prayer circle when it happened. There is no doubt that they all would have been killed had they been on stage as they were supposed to be.
It is heartwarming to watch the video and see so many rush to the collapse to help those caught underneath. Above the storm still rages, bolts of lightning flashing above their heads as they grab hold of the metal staging with apparently no fear for their own lives.
To win such a lawsuit, negligence must be proved. There is an allowance for the unforeseen “acts of God” as it is called. As I stated earlier, this is obviously one of those times. What a contrast between the “heroes” who helped and those who would wish to profit from such an unfortunate event.
Everyone handles grief differently. No one who was a personal witness to this calamity will ever forget it. It has been seared into their memory forever. Some will carry scars both physical and emotional for the rest of their lives. A lawsuit keeps those scars and memories alive and hurting. It will increase the pain and anger that grief brings. It does NOT bring healing.
And it is a lousy way to keep the memory of a loved one alive. That’s the view from my side of the street, what’s yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment