Monday, August 6, 2012

It's been awhile.....

Hello to all my blogging fans (that is if I still have any)!! I have been absent a year trying to break into the publishing world. What a roller coaster ride that has been! I was accepted in two small town papers. I was told by the editors that “My Side of the Street” was fresh, original and definitely written with my own voice. They loved it! But nothing ever happened. Not only did it not get printed, I was given no reason. To be truthful, my e-mails and calls were flat out ignored. So I sent dozens of letters and samples to dozens of publications. One of my blogs did get printed as a guest column. I received one rejection letter. Mostly I got a whole lot of nothing. It seems to be the same old story. Publications will not accept unsolicited material. It must go through an agent. But an agent will not accept an unpublished writer. And the wheels on the bus go round and round. So here I am, humbled, frustrated and depressed crawling back to you faithful few who kept me going. I have discovered that a writer needs readers to feel like a writer. I can go through reams of paper but its just trash if I don’t have someone to read and validate. I also feel like a colossal idiot because of course I let it be known that I was getting a newspaper column. Chalk up one more failure and lots of egg on my face. One thing I didn’t expect was the isolation and loneliness I was to feel during this year. Physically I am almost always alone anyway but with no one to share my thoughts and feelings I was crushed by the sense of emptiness that now accompanied my constant alone time. So I admit- I need you, my readers, to validate me as a person and as a writer. I need to believe that someone somewhere cares about my thoughts or I run the danger of not thinking them. I have felt a sense of ennui in a way I have never before felt. Sp please forgive my absence. Make time in your so busy lives for me again. And please if you like this site, recommend it to others as often as you can. I feel a little like Tinkerbell dying on the floor. Clap, clap, clap and bring me back to life. That’s the view from my side of the street, what’s yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment