Friday, August 24, 2012

B-I-G-O-T- the Other B-word!

With all the hoopla going on about the Chick-fil-a situation, one word has been thrown around quite a bit. The word is bigot. For me, (now I’m aging myself) it is impossible to hear that word and not think of Archie Bunker!!! Google him if you don’t know who he is. He existed before we all became “politically correct”. He was someone we all loved to hate!


Imagine my surprise as I realized that I AM a bigot according to the three definitions I read. Not only am I a bigot, I’m proud of being one. I’ll quote one of the definitions- “an illiberal or intolerant adherent of a religious creed or of any party or opinion.” And since I will never change my mind about God’s position on gay marriage and since that is perceived as being intolerant by certain others, I will admit again- I am a bigot.

BUT according to that definition those of you who are adamantly adhering to the fact that “churchie” people are wrong are bigots too! So how do we sort this all out besides remembering that name calling is like mudslinging, (you know, you can’t throw any without some of it getting all over you)?

For me it depends on where the intolerance is targeted. Jesus taught us to hate the sin but love the sinner. This is huge!! We are all beloved children of God…..and we are all sinners. No exceptions. This should level the playing field considerably. No one is better than someone else because their sin might be different.

So for me, where I stand on the subject of gay marriage is not meant personally towards anyone. I have gay friends, neighbors and relatives. I love these people. I associate with them and treat them with the same respect that I give to everyone. But that doesn’t change my belief that the gay lifestyle is wrong in the sight of God.

I also have neighbors with illegitimate children, family members who have an “open” marriage, friends who cheat big time on their taxes, an alcoholic friend, a drug addicted friend and others whom I care about whose lifestyles are not what I would call righteous. I can love them but also believe that they are making wrong choices. These choices are sins in God’s eyes. If standing up for Him makes me a bigot- than I will accept that term. I prefer to think that it makes me a Christian- a true follower of Jesus Christ who tries to walk in His path- one of forgiveness and love but rock solid on the issues of iniquity. That’s the view from my side of the street, what’s yours?



No comments:

Post a Comment