Friday, August 31, 2012

"Having someone to love is a........family. Having somewhere to go is a.......home. Having both is a....... blessing." These words on my daughter-in-law's wall have a special meaning to me this week. I have left my secluded little corner and ventured forth into the world. I am in Anna, Texas visiting with family.
Now I might not be as isolated from the regular world as say....the Amish, I am a pretty close second. I spend hours alone with my animals and farm, have no cell phone, no regular TV, and minimal outside contact. This flight was the first I have taken in almost 12 years. I will attempt to share what has changed.
I didn't quite expect the bottlenecked crowd at security, taking our shoes off seemed ridiculous- most people were wearing sandals or flip-flops- what could they be packing in? I was a little grossed out by walking barefoot where hundreds of strangers feet had been before me!
The flight attendent did a stand up comedy routine along with her safety instructions. It was great! What was not great was the number of people staring at me laughing. I realized that they weren't listening to a word she said and probably thought I was nuts. I wondered if they would know what to do in an emergency.
I was (and still am) furioius that because we can't take water bottles past security, the airport shops can charge $3-$6 for water. Airport shops have always had high prices but we used to have a choice to bring our own. If that choice is removed then the shops should have to have regular prices on those particular items!
Of course, planes have changed a lot too. Gone are the comfortable seats with leg room, arm room and breathing space. Gone are the aisles that not only allowed a food cart to pass but also people who didn't have to turn sideways and scuttle like a crab. Gone were the pillows, blankets and other comfort based items. Gone were the mob of airport attendents asking if you needed help.
 One very large, older women was trying to push her larger, older husband up an incline in his wheelchair. There were two airport attendents nearby. Only when I stopped to help did either of them move!
But I was very pleased to see that something had not changed. What was NOT gone was the comaraderie of fellow travelers going the same way for a time! I met some delightful people and had some great conversations with complete strangers who felt like friends. I love that part of life!
So back to the quote on my daughter-in- laws wall. I am so blessed to have home and family waiting for me on both ends of the trip and friends along the way! It doesn't get any better than that. That's the view from my side of the street, what's yours?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment