Monday, August 20, 2012

Joy Cometh in the Morning

Sometimes life can be overwhelming. It feels as if the burdens we are carrying are just too heavy to bear for even one more step. We are told to “let go and let God” which in practice is a little harder than it sounds. I wrote this poem during one of these times. Psalms 30:5—“weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.” JOY COMETH IN THE MORNING I sit in my house alone. I listen to the driving rain beat against the windows. I hear the mournful wind blow against the outside walls. I see the impenetrable blackness of the night. I feel the unrelenting, crushing burden of isolation. I think, “Where is my life?” Everything that was ever important to me is gone. Who am I now? I keep looking for myself. Even the search is cumbersome. I tell myself that I am not a failure as long as I don’t give up………… But I don’t really believe it-not really- not on cold, dark, lonely, rainy nights. The ghosts of my past haunt me on such nights. Regret. The emptiness of my present engulfs me. Despair. The reality of my future leers at me. Hopelessness. Who am I now? I cling to the one truth I have not lost. I am a daughter of God. I say good night to my Father and go to bed. I’m sharing this in hopes that it might help someone somewhere to know that they are not alone in this human experience. We all have such moments. That’s the view from my side of the street, what’s yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment