Wednesday, December 5, 2012

"Wrapped up like a Douche".....

A random click of the mouse led me on an interesting journey yesterday. I’ll share but with hopes that my readers will be tolerant of my wanderings. That first little click was to see a short video that featured song lyrics that are often misheard. It was fun.


Until the lyrics for “Blinded by the light came up”, particularly the line “wrapped up like a douche”. What?? That IS the lyric!! I’ve sung it that way for decades. So I had to check it out myself. I have sung it wrong.The true line is “revved up like a deuce”. It is referring to the hot little cars called Deuce Coupes. And the song was written by Bruce Springsteen! No way did I know that. (Now that I’ve seen his version I think that letting Manfred Mann do it their way was a good choice.)

But now I’m checking out the Manfred Mann band and am blown away to realize that some of my favorite songs have been done by them over the decades. They started back when the Beatles did! Two of their popular songs back then were “Do Wah Diddy Do” (you know- “here she comes just a walking down the street……..”) The next hit was “Quinn the Eskimo”( come all without, come all within, you’ve not seen nothing like the Mighty Quinn’’).

The next revelation was that “Quinn” was written by Bob Dylan (again, his version sucks in comparison). They also recorded his “Just like a Woman”. His version definitely gets my vote as the best way to do this song.

Another click crossed paths with the band Queen. I thought I knew everything there was to know about Queen. Not so. I have never known that they sang the song “Fat bottomed girls” (“you make the rocking world go round”). I’ve sung that a zillion times with my husband in his truck. No clue it was a Queen song!

I realize that knowing this trivia will not change my life but there was something oddly comforting about seeing lives and talents intertwine. It reminded me that success comes in many forms. It takes many people coming together to ensure that the end result is great. In a world saturated with people looking for their fifteen minutes of fame and not caring who they trample in the process, it was good to be reminded that the ladder to true success is still climbed one rung at a time and never without help. That’s the view from my side of the street, what’s yours?









No comments:

Post a Comment