Monday, March 18, 2013

No Longer Strangers but Friends

Not too long ago a son and his family moved from Utah to Texas. I was anxious to see them in their new habitat but I live in Oregon. During their time in Utah, a visit required a fairly uncomplicated drive of about twelve hours. The trip to Texas required a lot more.


I pondered all the options- driving, flying or riding a bus. Driving was the most expensive choice. Flying needed someone available to make the six hour round trip twice to the airport. Bussing, however, was cost efficient and convenient. I had never traveled by bus. The idea appealed to me- I could see the country, meet new people, share Grandma stories, etc. It would be an adventure!

I excitedly prepared and packed everything I thought I might need. Eye mask, ear plugs, pillow and blanket for sleeping, food, drink, meds and vitamins for health, book, scriptures and a word puzzle to stave off the boredom of inactivity, I was ready to go. I even had a few small gifts for my grandchildren.

My husband and I were at the bus stop by 2:30am waiting for my first bus. I looked at the others waiting. I swallowed hard and thought, “What was I thinking?! I’m going to be all alone. These people look scary.” I panicked.

My husband put me on the bus and waved good-bye. I walked down the aisle and back again waiting for someone to move over to let me sit. No one did. I felt like Forrest Gump on his first day of school! I noticed that there was only one other woman aboard. GULP!!

On my second time down the aisle someone kindly made room for me. I sat, the light went out and I fought back the tears that were threatening to erupt. I poured my heart out to my Heavenly Father and asked for whatever help he could send me. I felt so all alone and scared in the midst of all these strangers. How was I going to cope with these feelings for 3 days?

I didn’t have to. I was taught a beautiful lesson. The Spirit whispered, “Be yourself. Be a light. Just do what you would do in any other situation.” In short, live the gospel.

I made eye contact and smiled at my fellow passengers. I spoke softly and apologetically when someone wanted to “get all up in my face” about my bumping into them. I held a baby so mom could use the toilet. I collected trash from fellow passengers with my handy dandy trash bag. My eyes were opened to so many little acts of service. I gave my puzzle book to someone going even farther than I and my grandchildren’s toys to a restless toddler, etc.

And I realized that I was no longer “among strangers in a strange land” but among brothers and sisters. I also noticed the subtle change in those around me. The atmosphere lightened up. It was as if we were all looking out for each other instead of just ourselves. I gave others the chance to serve me as I asked for directions and information about changing buses and other unknowns. The lessons I learned (again) are the gospel works anytime, anywhere, in any situation and that I have a loving Father in Heaven who cares about sparrows and frightened grandmothers as well as all his other children. That’s the view from my side of the street, what’s yours?



No comments:

Post a Comment