Friday, April 12, 2013

A Beautiful Morning

It is spring in my little part of the world. The earth is warming slowly from its winter chill. Nights are still cold but days are sunny and pleasant. I am sitting on my back porch absorbing the sights and sounds of spring. I watch a robin couple. It’s easy to tell the male. His chest is a brilliant deep shade of red while hers is a lighter shade of rust. They see me and hesitate. Obviously they are used to the dozen or so barn cats eating near by. They appear to be unconcerned about the four dogs around my feet but I am something new to them. They walk carefully keeping an eye on me. As I do nothing, their confidence grows. Pretty soon they turn their backs to me and my montage to begin their search in the grass for breakfast…or is it water?


One of my layer hens has just laid an egg. She is telling the word of her accomplishment with a loud cackle. It is a sound that chickens and chicken owners all over the world recognize. Another hen joins her. There will be eggs for breakfast. Yeah. The rooster sees me sitting in my chair and begins his attempt to get my attention. His cock a doodle doo’s are hard to ignore but they can wait a little bit to be fed. I’m in the moment.

We have a pair of doves living here. I hear them calling to each other. They have been raising babies for a number of years but I’m wondering if they are getting too old. We couldn’t find any nestlings last year and they don’t seem to have any this year. I amuse myself with thoughts of them “in retirement” still together after all these years.

Our pair of swallowtail sparrows has not returned yet. I admit it is early but each year I am anxious as I await their arrival. I hope that all is well with them. I have no idea where they go or even why they chose to build their summer home on my porch light. But they did three years ago. We have loved every minute of watching two sets of eggs hatch each summer.

There are blooms in the flower beds as well as a million weeds screaming at me as I sit. I choose not to listen. The trees are well on their “leafing” way. My senses soak in the calmness of a spring morning. The sun is warm on my skin, my ears engaged in listening to the slight rustle of new leaves, the chirping of the bird world around me, the sight of the many emerging colors set against the back drop of the baby, blue sky of spring.

I feel sorry for city dwellers on mornings like this. The world is so serene and peaceful and right. Is it possible to get that feeling in a city? I feel so blessed to live where I do. I feel so blessed to be a part of this amazing experience called spring. At such moments I could care less about North Korea or Washington, D.C. That is all part of man’s mess not God’s.

There is a song from the musical OKLAHOMA that cover such a moment, “Oh, what a beautiful morning! Oh, what a beautiful day! I have a beautiful feeling every things going my way!” That’s the view from my side of the street, what’s yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment