Monday, April 8, 2013

Home Alone

This past weekend I had a chance to make an impromptu road trip to Utah. A friend from church was headed back to pick up some things and see some family before they moved away. I’ve been hungering for a road trip so I offered to go with. The offer was accepted and off we went.


I’ve often said that if you really want to get to know someone go on a road trip. The trip to Utah is long but not very hard. It takes about 12 hours but basically you point the car in the right direction and go. There are no highway changes, tollbooths or many cities to pass through. It is direct and simple.

We stayed with a friend of my friend. She was a gracious, thoughtful and wonderful hostess. Her home was beautiful, welcoming and comfortable. She and my friend had activities planned for Friday night. I was invited but chose instead to stay “home”, work on my blog, catch up with DWTS and go to bed.

My friend set up her laptop for my convenience and off they went. I was “home” alone. I am one to make myself at home and I did. I wrote my blog with no problem but realized that I had no idea how to highlight and copy it to my site without the help of a mouse. I tried a number of things but no luck.

I was beginning to panic when I thought of my hostess’s computer set up in the office. It had a mouse. Feeling somewhat like a cat burglar, I entered the office stealthily. I found what I was looking for but finding a way to disconnect it was harder than I thought. The confusing tangle of wires poking out her computer brain was daunting. As was the hardware all around trying to slip off and crash to the floor with each move I made. But victory was mine and I headed back to the laptop triumphantly.

I posted my blog and set things up to watch DWTS. But there was no sound! I checked the control panel, speaker volume everything I could think off but to no avail. The laptop remained mute. . I found out the next day that the laptop was programmed for outside speakers. Watching dancing is not much fun without the music so I shut the whole thing down and headed back to the office to replace the mouse.

Egads!! I wrestled with the avalanching equipment again to replace the mouse only to find that the computer wasn’t registering its presence. Oh, no, not only did I sneak in and steal it, now I’ve broken it! It took awhile and I’m not sure what I did but it finally worked. I had the bright idea to use that computer to watch DWTS but I didn’t know the password.

Next I tried the TV. It too defeated me as I could not figure out the confusing system of remotes and equipment. At this point some of you are wondering why I didn’t call someone, right? Well, being a “plugged in” household, it did not have a landline. I do not have a cell phone so ……

All was not lost however, I love to read. I had brought reading materials. Oh, wait, they were still in the car that had left for the night. I began looking for a book, a magazine, anything , I was ready to read the phone book but I couldn’t find anything but a shelf full of young children’s books most of which I had already read a hundred times.

Once again I cursed technology and all its “advances” and went to bed. It was eight o’clock. That made it seven o’clock my time. I think I was pregnant the last time I went to bed that early. That’s the view from my side of the street, what’s yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment