Friday, January 14, 2011

Good Samaritans???

Two years ago, our small town world was hit with tragedy. We lost four young adults to a drunk driver. They were on the way home from a church dance. He was on his way home too. He had been driving and drinking all day. He had almost completed a 12 hour road trip.
His vehicle rear ended theirs at 70mph, pushing it head first into a cement containment wall. All four died instantly. The car had to be towed somewhere to be dismantled to remove the bodies. He had no severe injuries.
The four young adults were good friends. Two of them were engaged to each other and planning a wedding that was to be held in 6 weeks. The drunk driver was a multiple offender. The community was out for blood! The local DA charged him with four accounts of murder.
I knew the family of the victims well so I saw and felt the damage up close and personal . Everyone was devastated and angry that this man had not been taken off the roads a lot sooner.
Fast forward a year, I’m in the truck with my husband, Brent. We stop at a convenience store. I am walking the dog across the parking lot to a small bit of grass. I pass by a car. The driver’s door is open. The driver is unconscious, his top half hanging out of the car. His bottom half is still in driving position in the car. I can’t tell if he is old or young, dead or alive.
I hurry back to the truck to get my husband for backup. He’s on the phone. He tells me to get someone from the store. Ok, I hurry to the store. It takes a few minutes for the kid that was night supervisor to comprehend what I am telling him. Finally, he accompanies me to the car.
He taps the man on the shoulder several times. The man awakes, it becomes obvious that he is incredibly drunk and probably stoned. He is disoriented and dysfunctional. The manager heads back into the store. I assume that he is calling the police. I wait with the man. We talk. I try to orient him. I tell him that he was passed out. I stand against the open door physically trying to keep him from leaving. I try to get his keys from the ignition. I beckon to my husband to come because at this point the man is threatening to do me bodily harm.
I finally jump out of the way as he roars out of the parking lot very narrowly missing the gas pumps and two other vehicles. The manager comes out talking on the phone. I holler to him, “Tell the police which direction he’s going so they can stop him before he kills himself or someone else!!”
He looks at me blankly- “Are you talking to the police?” I ask. No, he is not. He didn’t call them. I order him to hang up the phone and call them. I tell him how close he had come to getting blown up. He makes the call.
The drunk who killed the kids had been drinking and driving for 12hrs. How many people had a chance to do something and didn’t? The Tucson shooting as well as similar incidents bring out many who “saw this coming”. Did they do anything?? What stops us? What are we afraid of? I know that personally I’m more afraid of living with the knowledge that I might have been able to do something and I didn’t than anything else that could happen. That’s the view from my side of the street, what’s yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment