Friday, January 28, 2011

Where, oh, where was Wed's blog?

As many of you know, I have come kicking and screaming into the age of technology. In fact, a few decades ago, I lived with an outhouse, oil lamps and I pumped water with a hand pump. I loved it!! It’s still my dream to retire to such a place. There is a sense of serenity and calm that accompanies that lifestyle.
There is also a sense of destiny control. There are few unexpected events in such a life. The outhouse never plugs up, the water always flows, the stove that heats your home also bakes your bread and you are solely responsible for the wood that powers it. As long as you have oil you will have light. There are no washers, dryers, dishwashers or any other type of machine to break down. There are no huge electric bills, no fear of winter storms, you depend on you and your partnership with the natural world.
I was reminded of this when our area was unable to access the Internet for almost 18 hours. That is why there was no Wednesday blog. I had not realized the many ways I have become used to having the net available until it was gone. I hated it!
Of course, I thought the kids had done something to my computer. Then I thought that I had. I plugged and unplugged every single cord I could find. I turned everything off, waited, than turned everything back on again. I did that at least 5 times!
I clicked on icons and ended up in places I didn’t even know existed on my laptop. I went away and waited for several hours. I came back and did it all over again. I was breaking out in panic sweats when I finally decided to call my server. There was a recorded message instructing us to turn everything off, wait, than turn it all back on again. So I did- AGAIN!
I called the server again only to hear a new message. This message listed affected towns and begged us to be patient if we lived in those towns. At this point, I had spent hours working on the problem. I wondered how many others had spent hours that day trying to fix a problem that wasn’t even theirs. I knew that there had to be many out there that were a whole lot more stressed out than I was because they had no net access and let me tell you, I was pretty stressed out!
It was then I remembered life before I got plugged in- ahhhhhhhhhh! So to all those who dragged me into this, I still say technology does NOT make life easier!! It just fools us into thinking we can’t live without it and than we can’t!
That’s the view from my side of the street, what’s yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment