Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Different Flavors

I am opening an antique/gift shop with two of my friends. It’s something we have all wanted to do for a long time. We’ve actually been working towards it for a number of years but finally, everything is set to fall together. We open in about a week.
Over the past year, as we have explored our options and done our homework, we’ve each tossed around ideas for the name of our store. Here are the three names we’ve come up with:
1. Too Much Junk in the Trunk
2. Once Upon a Time
3. The Three Sisters
I think that those who know the three of us would have no problem matching the person to the name. And again, I am reminded of the amazing way our differences enrich one another’s lives. Think of what an incredible world we would live in if differences were embraced rather than shunned or avoided. We should find joy in one another’s differences and realize how each of us has our own flavor to add. Can you imagine an ice cream store with only vanilla?
“The Three Sisters” was the invention of my artist friend. In Indian lore, the three sisters are beans, corn and pumpkin. They were planted together to give support and protection to each other. She loves symbolisms.
“Once Upon a Time” is the creation of my librarian friend. Her taste in things is romantic and old fashioned.
“Too Much Junk in the Trunk” was my brainchild. It is quirky and I like the play on words. Yes, we have too much junk, hence the store but I also have too much junk in my other trunk (the one I sit on).
We have all had a good laugh about how clearly each name represented the inventor. We also think we might have a solution- “Once upon a time, three sisters had too much junk in their trunk!” We aren’t sure if we can afford the sign or business cards we’d have with a name like that, though.
Oh, well, it’s already promising to be a very eclectic type store. But our particular flavors blend well so it should be a success!!
That’s the view from my side of the street, what’s yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment