Monday, May 9, 2011

The Four Agreements

A friend has loaned me a book. It is called “The Four Agreements”. It was put together by Don Miguel Ruiz. It is a book that teaches ancient beliefs practiced by people in Mexico ions ago. I have not read it yet but I wanted to share what the four agreements are. I think they are simple but powerful principles.
I am quoting from the fly leaf of the book- 1. BE IMPECCABLE WITH YOUR WORD. Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.
2. DON’T TAKE ANYTHING PERSONALLY. Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.
3. DON’T MAKE ASSUMPTIONS. Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness, and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.
4. ALWAYS DO YOUR BEST. Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse, and regret.
I have been trying to put these truths into practice for the past year. I can’t begin to share the ways my life has changed. I believe that in the confusing, tumultuous times in which we find ourselves peace amid the storm is all we can hope to achieve. But I know that it can be achieved.
Please share these principles with others. It will be life changing for all who apply them in their lives. I’ve also seen what can happen to those who do not follow this advice.
I know that these principles work- they are simple but so powerful. But don’t just take my word for it! Try them yourselves. That’s the view from my side of the street, what's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment