Friday, May 20, 2011

Ogle Worthy?!

My husband hasn’t a romantic bone in his body- not even a sliver of one. We‘ve been married five years and he just now has started to recognize my birthday, Valentines’ Day, anniversary, etc. He doesn’t give compliments or say sweet things.
When we were first married, this concerned me greatly. One day I shared with my son the fact that I wouldn’t know how he felt if it wasn’t for our nighttime prayers. My son than taught me a valuable lesson about men.
According to my son (and other men I asked), the highest compliment they can give is to tell someone else about you. When we say things to them like- you are so cute, you did a great job on the dishes, etc. etc., they like it but if they hear you tell someone else- my husband did a great job on the dishes, his new haircut is so cute, etc. etc. then it REALLY means something to them.
My son said, “Mom, he’s telling GOD how great you are, what more do you want?” To which his wife and myself both replied, “To hear it ourselves once in awhile!”
So something that happened yesterday is possibly the sweetest thing my husband has ever done! We were on the freeway. I was driving. It was a very pretty afternoon. Oblivious to all around me, I jumped when my husband hollered out the window, “She’s old enough to be your mother!”
“What?????” I asked. He pointed to the pickup that had just passed us. I could see that he was upset. Confused because my husband rarely pays attention to other drivers I asked if there had been a young man and older woman in it. Apparently not- he was angry because he thought that the young men in the truck were ogling ME!
I began to laugh. I probably should have been mad about the “old” comment but the fact that he thought it was even possible that I was being ogled was so amazing. And by younger men! And he was mad about it!!! WOW!
I explained that I hadn’t been ogled in about a century. I reassured him that I hadn’t even noticed. I thanked him for thinking I was ogle worthy. But the whole time I was thinking that this was the best compliment I had ever received!
Who cares if he doesn’t tell me I look nice? He really believes that I am ogle worthy!!! That will get me through the next five, no, probably, ten years.
That’s the view from my side of the street, what’s yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment