Monday, June 27, 2011

You can't teach an old dog new tricks

We adopted two small dogs last week. Their owner had been ill for quite awhile. She was unable to do much but keep them in their cage and take them out to potty several times a day. She loves them dearly. Letting them go hurt her but she knew it was for the best. They were accompanied by a lengthy, detailed letter describing schedule, habits and personality traits. This was great except for one thing- life here on our little farm is very different from what they have been used to. They are different dogs now!
Basically, they had few “social” skills. The first 24 hours they humped each other incessantly! It was driving us crazy! So was the non-stop barking. A friend suggested that being cooped in the kennel led to the humping. Nothing better to do was her thought. She also reminded us to be patient while the dogs’ brains rewired. She was right. Both behaviors have greatly lessened as we have worked with them.
In one week, they have learned to go to the door when they want out or in. They sleep on the couch at night instead of their kennel. They used to be fed in separate dishes to avoid conflict. They now share a dish with two other dogs and some cats. They are learning to play, to obey and to get along.
This past weekend, my husband and I sat through sixteen hours of a class preparing us to become foster parents. As we discussed case histories, childhood trauma, trust issues, etc., I continually thought of Stu and Mo. Children are a little more complex than dogs but the same principles apply. Patience, kindness, firm boundaries, lots of praise, cookies, timeouts and clear consistent rules can work miracles in an animal’s life. Can’t those same miracles be brought about in a child’s life?
Each time we bring new animals home, I am amazed at how quickly they adjust to new environments. I believe that people and animals can make incredible progress when the atmosphere is right. My own life attributes to that. My husband and I have both made many changes since we married five years ago.
So, the next time someone says, “You can’t teach an old dog new tricks”, I’ll reply, “oh, yeah?!” Maybe I’ll even bark a few times.
That’s the view from my side of the street, what’s yours?

1 comment:

  1. Kathy, Your story warms my heart more than you will ever know!! God Bless You, My dear friend & neighbor:))) Jan Shoe!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete