Wednesday, September 26, 2012

D-I-V-O-R-C-E

D-I-V-O-R-C-E—remember the time when we used to spell it? It was a drastic measure, only to be used in times of abuse or addictions. It was a last hope measure to be used when all other efforts had been attempted. Marriage and family was a serious commitment.


I remember reading an interview that took place between a couple celebrating their 60th wedding anniversary. The wife was asked if she had ever thought about divorce during those many years. She was shocked and replied, “Divorce? NO! Never!........murder a few times but never divorce!”

We seem to have the attitude today that marriage is like a store purchase. If we don’t like it, we can take it back. Maybe the fit is wrong or we don’t like that color anymore or it looked better hanging in the window than it did when we got it home.

The legalities of divorce are simple, fast and inexpensive lending to the illusion that it’s convenient and painless. We live in a time when millions are spent on lavish weddings. Attention is paid to every little detail…..nothing goes unnoticed. There are even people who make it their career to see that all goes well. I think that one detail is being overlooked- the importance of the wedding vows.

To vow is “to promise solemnly, esp. to God”. They are not just words spoken in a performance. The wedding vows are the most important promises we will ever make. I’ve read over numerous marriage vows. They differ in context but I have never found any of the following words:

I promise to love you as long as you always do what I want you to.

I promise to love you as long as you can keep me living in the style I want.

I promise to love you as long as you stay young, or attractive or fun or perfect.

An elderly couple at church recently received the devastating news that she had a fast acting disease. This couple had been together for decades rarely even spending the night apart. One Sunday, she became overwhelmed and needed to leave. As she was being helped out, I saw that she had become confused and lost. She simply reached her hand out as if searching for him. He immediately saw her need and placed his hand in hers. There are no words to describe the look of peace and safety that came upon her face. She couldn’t even see him but that didn’t matter, she knew he was there and she was fine. She knew because of a lifetime of his always being there.

Do I believe in divorce? Yes, I have been divorced. There are times when safety and other issues make it a necessary evil. But it should NEVER be taken lightly. It is devastating especially to children. It affects areas of your life in ways you can’t even imagine. If you are thinking about taking such an action, please think hard and long and carefully. It is my experience that divorce is rarely worth the cost.

That’s the view from my side of the street, what’s yours?



No comments:

Post a Comment