Monday, September 10, 2012

Out of the Mouth of Babes

My two weeks in Texas are over. I return home tomorrow. While here I have missed family and friends at home. Now, I get to go home and miss my family here. A plight that many of today's moms and grandma's live with every day. 
Here are some of the lessons my grandchildren taught me during this visit:
1. I am now a fairly decent player of "Angry Birds" and "Chop, chop Ninja". New skills for my resume.
2. I haven't forgotten how to take care of toddlers. It's surprising how it just comes back to you.
3. I still have my "entertainment abilities". It's good to know that I can still be silly.
4. "When something seems bad, turn it around and make it something good". My four year old grandson sang this while a nurse drew blood for allergy tests.
5."I'm sorry" can be incredibly comforting. My two year old grandson said these words when I spilled something, when I couldn't find what I wanted at the store and when I slipped on the stairs.
6. The four year old missed his parents very much but he had learned that "grown ups come back". We reminded each other of this many times when his parents were gone for several days.
7. Comfort from others is great but we can also comfort ourselves. One of my grandsons was crying that heartbreaking, can't catch your breath kind of crying. As I showed him how to take deep breaths to calm down, he added this important bit of self talk, "I'm fine.....I'm fine......I'm fine."
8. Towers are taller when they have a wide base.
9. All the kids at the play park on friends even if we have never met them before.
10. Saying "I don't know how to do this" doesn't hold much salt. "I'll teach you, Grandma Cappy!!!"
I am sooo going to miss the uncomplicated, loving, forgiving world of young children when I get back home. Why can't we all be like them? That's the view from my side of the street, what's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment