Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Elections

In the early 1930’s, my grandfather wrote a column for his small New England towns newspaper. It was called “The Easy Chair”. I feel it appropriate to share some of his words today:
“Election is over! The Easy Chair is proud of the people of the town, the State, the nation. As we see it, to vote is the thing. The United States of America will never be ruined because a large body of citizens vote for a man whom another large body of citizens consider the wrong man.
We wish we held the power to impress upon the mind of every voter in the town and in the state, the deep significance of that vote, the true importance of voting, the grave responsibility of the voter. Indifference, stagnation, lethargy is the spirit which will kill our form of government and not mistaken voting.”
Last week I urged you to vote. I hope that all my readers did. In going over the election stats all over the country, I noticed the “clean sweeps” but what stood out more to me were how very many of the elections were “neck and neck”. This was an election that in which whether a vote was cast or not could very well have made the difference in who came out the winner.
I have a feeling that the same will hold true in coming elections. As my grandfather expressed in November 1934- making the wrong choice will not have as much of an effect on our country as will making no choice at all.
I am reminded of that wee small boy in Whosville who thought his voice couldn’t possibly make a difference. Remember everyone making all the noise they could possibly make to save themselves from being dropped into boiling oil? No one but Horton could hear them until that wee small boy joined in!
I am also reminded of an old saying. It stated that “Indecision is a decision”. If you voted yesterday, kudos!! If you didn’t, in my book, you’ve lost your right to complain about the government for a whole year!!
That’s the view from my side of the street, what’s yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment