Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving Reality

How was your Thanksgiving? Mine was the Thanksgiving every one dreams about! You know that dream where you wake up covered with sweat and screaming- that’s the one I had. It’s actually a little hard to believe but I swear this is what really happened.
This is the first year that I was doing Thanksgiving at my house in over five years. It is also the first year that I was committed to be cleaning at our local senior center. It is the second year that the center was giving a town Thanksgiving. I spent over 14 hours in 2 days getting carpets shampooed and everything spit polished. I had hoped to have all day Wednesday to do my house but that didn’t happen.
This is also the first year that our area was hit with a snow/ice storm before Thanksgiving. It was accompanied by record low temperatures in the single digits. Our entire area is restricted. You can’t travel on the highway if you don’t have chains.
It was late afternoon by the time I started my Thanksgiving prep. First, my husband informed me that my vacuum cleaner was dead! He had tried fixing it but he couldn’t. I walked in to see my beloved Dyson in pieces all over the dirty carpet. Deep breath- I was ok. We couldn’t get to town for a new one, any way. I could ignore the carpets.
I started with dinner and pies. I was trying to stick to our old tradition of every one’s favorite so I was making- lemon meringue, pumpkin, chocolate cream, coconut custard and banana cream. I had determined to do it all by scratch, cooking the fillings, etc. Everything was going just fine, a little hectic, but fine until the girls erupted in a major fight. I took a second to pour my pudding into its pie shell and my custard in its pie shell. Then I put the custard one in the oven, the pudding one in the fridge and went to deal with the fight.
I was back in the kitchen ready to put dinner in the oven when the timer for the pie went off. As I was pulling the coconut custard pie out of the oven, I saw the rubbery banana chunks on its top. Oh no, I set it down and ran to the fridge, yup, the coconut was in the pudding. Deep breath- I was ok.
The pumpkin pie was great. The lemon gelled perfectly I put in the cooked pie shell, left it on the stove and went to finish the meringue. Dinner was also ready so we sat down to eat. That was our little miracle- it was the first time no one was near the stove all night.
There was a loud explosion type sound. We looked towards the stove, it was on fire!! My husband had turned on the wrong burner to cook the giblets. The glass pie plate holding my lemon pie had exploded! Shards of glass were everywhere and the pie was on fire!!
Deep, deep breath- I was ok, sort of. We put out the fire and cleaned the mess up silently. I muttered something about going to bed and left all the other cooking mess there. I was very grateful that no one was hurt but I was done!
Next year -we are going to the town Thanksgiving! I heard it was a great success! That’s the view from my side of the street ,what’s yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment