Friday, November 19, 2010

Perfect Moments

I was just outside. It is night and just cold enough for me to see my breath. The almost full moon is high above surrounded by millions of stars. I was pushing the old wheelbarrow full of wood for the stove. I paused as I looked around our small farm- the winter’s wood supply split and stacked, garden spaces ready for springs plowing, dogs rolling in the leaves, and I thought, boy, it doesn’t get much better than this!
I call times like this- perfect moments. These are moments in life when we are so in the experience that time almost stands still so our mind can take a picture. It is a moment that imprints itself upon you. Nobody has a perfect life but everyone has perfect moments. They are different for all of us, as unique as we ourselves are.
I think that when we are able to see and enjoy these perfect moments our lives become fuller. Sometimes we have to slow down enough to notice. Sometimes we need to quit our bellyaching long enough to notice. Sometimes we need someone else to point them out.
A few weeks ago, I had four grandchildren sleep over at my house. They had been having a wonderful time. So had I. Than I mentioned the b-word (you know b-e-d). Within five minutes all four were crying and wanting to go home! I thought that was a perfect moment. Within 20 minutes they were all asleep. That, too, was a perfect moment!
Earlier today, I was the only car at an intersection to witness a policeman run a light that had just turned red. He saw me laughing and shaking my head. He had the decency to look sheepish and I had a perfect moment.
Other perfect moments in the past month have been: the ending to Toy Story 3, a phone call from a son, Thriller with my daughter-in-law, a rainstorm on our tin roof, an unexpected compliment, a good workout, sliding into a bed with new sheets, a message from a friend, my husband telling me that he would cook the turkey, playing ball with my grandsons, school lunch with my daughter, kittens venturing out of their room on tiny, toddling legs to find me, seeing old friends and homemade apple pie.
It’s kind of like counting your blessings but not really. Counting your blessings can be done after the fact but perfect moments are enjoyed as such while they are happening.
Anyway, that’s the view from my side of the street, what’s yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment