Monday, December 6, 2010

The Christmas List

One of my family’s Christmas traditions has been to help make Christmas better for someone else in need. I’d like to share one of those times. This particular experience was special for so many reasons.
One of my daughters had become close to a neighbor hood girl. She was 12. Her sisters were 14 and 16. Her mom was a single parent working a minimum wage job. Her father was in and out of jail regularly. He had no job so he gave them no money.
There was no car. They walked everywhere. Mom was a recovering addict but we didn’t know that at the time. I was a stay at home mom so all three girls found their way to our home on a regular basis. I encouraged this. They stopped by on their way home from school for cookies, milk and talks. We went to their sports and school events often providing rides. These girls were happy, close to each other and full of love for their mother.
Although we usually did our Christmas helping anonymously, this year we had no choice but to go through the girls. We had been in their home. It was clean, full of plants but not obviously lacking. My daughter was not one to notice what might be needed. So I confided in the three teenage girls that we wanted to help with Christmas. Could they come up with a Christmas wish list for them and their mom? They were so excited about doing it! Money was tight at our house that year so I was secretly hoping they didn’t want something really expensive.
I still have that list. I wept when I read it. Here it is: toilet paper, laundry detergent, dish detergent, shampoo, soap, something for their mom to put her craft things in and if possible could I get her a new bathrobe because she never had one. Not one thing for themselves! Everything on the list was to help out mom.
At this point, realizing how poor they really were, I went into the house when mom was working and made my own huge list. I called in the troops- everyone I knew- told them the story of the Christmas list and asked for whatever they could give. We received several cords of wood, blankets, mattresses, sheets, towels, new coats, gloves, hats for entire family, mom (and girls) received robes and slippers. At least a year’s supply of TP and detergents were donated. One generous donor gave a gift card so that mom could shop for her girl’s gifts herself. We brought it all together and delivered it while mom was still at work. The girls couldn’t wait until she got home!!
Seeing for myself that a lot of people giving a little each added up to a wonderful experience for three unselfish girls and their mother made this one of the best Christmas seasons for me and mine. We all have something we can give. Giving it brings such joy to the heart- remember that this Christmas season.
That’s the view from my side of the street, what’s yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment