Wednesday, December 22, 2010

SUV's and the Superman Complex

My little area of the world has a moderate climate. Coming from the Northeast as I did- I have been very amused with the “extreme” weather forecasts. A snowstorm here is what we would call flurries back home. School and other activities are cancelled if there is an inch of snow. Our small town’s snow removal equipment is a pickup with a plow attachment.
However, I am very careful about driving anywhere. This is not because I’m nervous about the roads. It is because I am scared to death about the other drivers out there. This blog is for them. I doubt that any of them will ever read this but I want to say these things anyway. In the past few days I have witnessed several accidents and have been told about several more. I will try to make this simple.
We have had a few inches of snow over the past week. The days have been warm enough to melt some of it but the nights have been cold enough to freeze what has melted during the day. That creates ice. It particularly creates black ice. It is called black ice because you can’t see it. All you can see is the black road. It is dangerous! Drive carefully!
The temperature changes have also been causing fog. Fog makes it hard to see ahead of you. I came upon an accident scene that occurred because one driver was being careful and going slowly due to almost zero visibility. He was hit by a driver that was not driving carefully and slowly. That driver was driving along at the speed limit-65mph. He didn’t see the other car until he rear ended it. If you can’t see, slow down!!!
Driving an SUV or pickup (even if you have 4wd) does not make you Superman or woman!!! It doesn’t help at all in low visibility or ice situations!! Every single accident I have seen or heard of involved at least one SUV or pickup. I have literally watched them fly by me on the freeway and seen them off the road or flipped over a few miles ahead.
There have been deaths, serious injuries and much heartache this past week. All of it was caused by human error. It’s Christmas time people!! This is NOT how you want to spend it!! So slow down- drive carefully- be alert and maybe we’ll all manage to survive!
That’s the view from my side of the street, what’s yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment