Friday, December 10, 2010

Computer Class

I just finished taking a computer class. At the first class the teacher asked each of us why we were there. She wanted to know what we hoped to get out of the class. My reply was “I want to know as much as my 2 yr. old grandson.”
Let me tell you what happened. My son and his family had come for a visit. My grandson wanted to play the WII. I was babysitting the 5 yr. old daughter of a friend at the time. My son set them all up with a driving game. He had to do it because although I own a WII- I am extremely limited in my ability to run it.
Chloe was having her turn but her car was stuck between a wall and a tree. Tyler had been jabbering instructions to her but none of us could translate “jabber”. She handed the wheel to him and said, “Can you help me?” I started to explain to her that he was too little. Before I could get all the words out he took the wheel, backed the car out, drove it to the nearest road and handed the wheel back to her. He continued to “jabber” instructions the entire time. I picked my chin up from the floor and asked his parents if they’d seen him.
Before they headed for home a few days later, I had seen Tyler set up his own WII games, use his father’s laptop and play with his dad’s phone. He could turn the phone on, find his game or movie, play them or select scenes to watch. I was still learning how to text!
I was busy having children when the technological age broke wide open. I was way too busy to acquire all the new skills involved in keeping up. Besides that when home computers first came out they were touchy and temperamental. If you breathed on them wrong they crashed. My kids never worried about it because they had no real concept of what the machines cost!
During the class, I came to another huge realization about why children, especially teens are so adept. After each class, the teacher would say the magic words- “go home and play around with it, you’ll find out a lot more that way.” My first response to that was who’s got the time? Daaah! Kids and teens!!!!!
I heard a comedian on the radio talking about this very subject – he said that he had always thought that he didn’t want kids but he’s rethinking that decision. He thinks now that having one might be very cost effective and think of all the time he’d save being on hold with the help lines!
That’s the view from my side of the street, what’s yours?

2 comments:

  1. So, did you learn a lot in the computer class? Our two year grandchildren are not always around to help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I did. Mostly I learned that I knew more than I thought I did. I just lacked the confidence. Aren't alot of things like that?

    ReplyDelete