Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Night walking

A few months ago, tired of trying to carve walking time out of my daily grind, I went for a walk after dark. I loved it! I try to go every night now -weather permitting.
I live in the country on a dead end dirt road so safety from humans is a pretty sure thing. I walk with my big protective dog so safety from animals is a pretty sure thing. I take my cell phone so safety from myself (I tend to be a little accident prone) is a pretty sure thing. I do not take a flashlight. I do not take an Ipod.
I love the solitude and peacefulness of the night. I love the star filled sky. I love watching the cycle of the moon, waxing and waning as the month progresses. I love the night sounds, so different from those of the day. I can hear the electricity crackling in the power lines above me.
It’s incredible to walk on a full moon night, so bright and clear I can see everything around me. It’s also incredible to walk on a cloudy moonless night when I must choose my steps carefully and focus on just what’s in front of me.
I have some friends who think it’s a crazy idea but one older, wiser friend understood. As a matter of fact, she and her husband used to walk at night quite often. She said it was my time to listen. She also understood not using artificial light. She remarked that it’s hard to commune with nature when we are driving it away with outside sounds and lights.
I’ve thought about her comments a lot. It IS my time to listen. Of course, I’m listening to the many things happening around me as I walk but I don’t think that’s what she meant. I listen to what is going on inside me even more. I listen to my thoughts. I listen to my feelings. I take events of the day and replay them to carefully digest them. I take the time to properly sort and file them.
And I come home refreshed in body but more important to me is I am also refreshed in mind, heart and spirit. I’m learning how hungry I’ve been for such a time and how rarely any of us get time like this anymore. All too often, times we could use in this way, we fill up with sound and activity. Exercise time, commuting time, waiting time, etc. we fill up with Ipods, phones, computers, etc.
When did you have listening time? I’m giving you homework- 15 minutes of do nothing but listen time a day. Stay in an upright position so you don’t fall asleep. If you can, go outside. It will feel a little uncomfortable at first but if you do it for over a week, I think you’ll like it.
By the way, a little side effect I found- I sleep better! No tossing and turning while I try to shut my mind off. I’ve already listened to it. It’s happy to go to sleep with the rest of my body now! That’s the view from my side of the street, what’s your’s?

No comments:

Post a Comment