Monday, August 29, 2011

Chicken Run

I’m more than a little embarrassed to share the following story with you. I , who is known as the ultimate animal person, must admit that I had forgotten an important lesson. It had to be taught to me all over again. It is the lesson of love and patience.
It all started several weeks ago when one of our hens began to get “broody.” This means she started getting possessive about her eggs and not only her eggs but others as well. She claimed a nest for her very own, refusing to budge, even for me to gather the eggs.
She started with pecking at my hand when I tried to slip under her to pull out the eggs. Then she made a lot of noisy complaints and began to peck at my arm as soon as I was close. One day, she pecked me hard and I dropped the eggs. At this point, I was pissed! My arm hurt and the broken eggs were running down my legs.
So, contrary to everything I know to be right and true- I engaged in warfare with this chicken. She squawked, I squawked louder. She ruffled her feathers to appear bigger, I stood towering over her. She got in my face, I got in hers. We had a few knock down, drag out fights with both of us trying to out ruffle and out squawk each other.
This went on for about ten days. Each day the battle escalated. She started to attack the other chickens that were allowing me to reach under them. I began to use a shield to back her off the nest. I began making plans to execute her to end the problem once and for all. My husband thought it was funny until he tried to gather the eggs one night!
So one morning I lay in bed hating this hen and dreading the idea of chores that morning. While reviewing the past weeks events in my mind I realized suddenly (and to my shame) that there WAS one thing I hadn’t tried. I hadn’t tried to be nice. I was so pissed about her rotten attitude that I had completely ignored my own. I felt like an idiot.
That morning, I talked softly to her, being careful to move slowly and appear non-threatening. I used my shield but I used it matter of factly not angrily. She didn’t know what to do! I have continued to treat her gently and like a friend. She still doesn’t like me taking the eggs but the fight is gone. All is quiet on the western front and in my henhouse.
This principle works with people as well. I know it does. I’ve seen it so many times. Jesus said “Love your enemy”. Our grandparents said, “You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.” Take your choice. The fact is that kindness ALWAYS works better than anger.
That’s the view from my side of the street, what’s yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment