Friday, August 26, 2011

WHAT???

An older friend of mine was sent a invite from a prominent hearing aid company. It wasn’t exactly a scam as it was a very complex marketing technique but to the unsuspecting it sure can feel like one. This invite was for “free” hearing tests and some great deal on the hearing aids.
This couple both know that they are have problems hearing. My friend told me, “We sit in front of the TV at night asking each other- what did they say?” So they went prepared to accept the deal for one of them and pay for the other.
They made the appointment and did the testing. Yes, they both need hearing aids. The next part was the shocker. My friend says she couldn’t get over how the man looked straight into her face and said without a blink, “Your devices will cost $4500.” !!!!!!!! That was just for hers!!!
They managed to get out of the office and into the car before she blurted to her husband, “There’s nothing I want to hear that badly. You better get used to yelling, dear.”
When she shared the story with me, I was equally shocked at the high price tag. I told her that an antique ear trumpet only cost a few hundred. I decided I’ll just carry a pad of paper and pen around with me as my hearing gets worse. That might help my memory, too.
We have computers that can do everything but the dishes for less than $1000. How can tiny radio type devices cost so much? I’m thinking it’s because the young brilliant people haven’t realized the need. It’s only us older not so brilliant people that see it but we still have problems with programming our TV’s and phones.
I’m in hopes that some brilliant young college student reads this and decides to be the one that invents the next big, new, thing and revolutionizes the hearing aid industry. Or maybe it’s already been invented but isn’t being utilized yet. Either way I can’t believe that in a day and age with such amazing technology this is still even an issue.
That’s the view from my side of the street, what’s yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment