Monday, August 22, 2011

My Song

One fine summer evening, a young couple took their 5 year old son to a piano concert. He was learning to play piano and he loved it. Featured at this concert was a Master pianist. While waiting for the concert to start, the young boy disappeared. The parents began to search frantically when a familiar sound met their ears. It was the tune to “Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star” being played on the magnificent concert piano. They had found their son!
Chagrined, they headed for the stage to remove him. Before they could reach him the Master pianist came on the stage. He leaned over the boy and whispered, “Keep on playing”. He then reached for the keys and added his music to that of the small boy’s. The result brought tears to many in the audience. The sweet simple tune blended with the more complex music the Master was playing to create something beautiful and unique.
There are days and sometimes whole weeks when I tire of my little song. I want to do so much more. I want to be so much more. Sometimes I just want the pain of life to stop. I want to see success instead of failure. I want my song to be sung to the ends of the earth. And yet, I realize that my song is still too simple, too ordinary.
But I want to state right here, right now, that I KNOW there is a Master leaning over me. He adds to my simple song the fullness and richness that I lack. He fills in the gaps and hesitations. The music rises in perfect crescendos when needed. It falls into perfect silences at times so that I may hear my own song.
I know that my song played along with the Master’s is something beautiful and unique. I also know that your song is too. I hope and pray that you feel the Master behind you, that you feel his arms around you. Can you hear the incredible music you are making together? It’s there, all around you. Take a moment this week to stop and listen to it. It is awesome!
That’s the view from my side of the street, what’s yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment