Friday, August 5, 2011

Meals on Wheels

I’ve been in a blue mood for the past few weeks. I know some of the causes but my usual coping methods are not available to me at the moment. It’s hot where I am so most of my outdoor activities are limited. It is also hot inside. Our 20 year old system isn’t keeping up well. So my indoor activities are also limited. What can I say? I’m a New Englander- I don’t do heat well!
So, this morning, I say to my husband, who by the way is a Westerner, he does heat just fine- it’s cold he can’t do! I say- “Life sucks and then you die.” I say this when I am in my blue moods although they don’t accurately describe my philosophy. They do, however, describe my feelings.
So, I’m in bed, staring at the ceiling, telling my better half- “Life sucks and then you die.” I’m getting ready for a full fledged pity party. I want to moan and groan and cry and just be miserable! I’m waiting for my sweetie to take me in his arms and tell me how much he loves me. I want him to put the pieces of my broken heart together and hold them tight in his hands. But this is not his way.
He tells me, “Someone told a good joke last night (at work).” Now, first you need to understand that my husband doesn’t tell jokes, he tells stories. He is captivating! Second, you need to understand that I have learned over the years that he is not ignoring my pain. The story is his response to it. It is always relevant. I have learned to listen carefully.
“A big, white, fluffy cat dies. He finds himself standing before the pearly gates of heaven. Saint Peter looks down on him. “You’ve been a good cat. I will let you into heaven. Is there anything I can do for you to make your stay more comfortable?”
The cat thinks for a few minutes. “All my life, I had to sleep on hard surfaces. I would really like a big soft cushion.” Instantly, he has one. “This is wonderful, thank you!”
A few days later some mice appear at the gate. Saint Peter tells them that they have been good mice. They will be admitted but is there anything he can do to make their stay better? “Oh, yes, we want some roller skates. All our lives we had to run away from people, from cats, from traps, etc. We are soooo tired of running! Can we please have roller skates?” Instantly, they have them. “Oh, this is great, thank you!”
Some time passes. One day, Saint Peter passes by the cat sleeping on his cushion. He asks how things are going. The cat stretches lazily. “This cushion is so comfortable, I love it! And those meals on wheels aren’t too bad, either!”
When I stopped laughing, I realized that one of the reasons I love this quiet, strong man is his ability to head people off at the pass and avert the coming storm. He is truly a peacemaker. All who know him feel this even if they don’t recognize how he does it. You gotta love someone like that and we all do!
That’s the view from my side of the street, what’s yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment