Monday, August 1, 2011

Government Standoff

A few weeks ago, my almost thirteen year old daughter stormed into my office. “Mom, you’ve just got to do something!!!! Sarah (her younger sister) is writing terrible things bout me in her diary!!! Do something about it!!!”
My husband and I exchanged looks before we both started laughing. She looked properly insulted and indignant as she proceeded to tell us about the things in her sister’s diary. As soon as I could catch my breath, I responded. “Honey, there is so much wrong with what you just said that I don’t even know where to begin!!”
She was furious!! No amount of discussion helped her to see her culpability in snooping. Another family favorite occurs during prayer time- “Mom, so and so wasn’t keeping their eyes closed during prayer!!” My response has always been “How do YOU know?” Some get it- some do not.
Which leads me to the real subject today- the U.S. Government’s inability to work together. I do not intend to take sides in this blog. I do intend to say that some of you are acting like my daughter. Instead of taking a firm stand in defending what you want, you are instead tearing apart the opponents stand. There is so much wrong with that method that I don’t know where to begin!
I hate to break this to you but you are grownups not children. Somewhere along your personal journey, you should have learned the art of compromise. COMPROMISE; an adjustment for settlement by arbitration and mutual concession, usually involving a partial surrender of purposes or principle.
In layperson terms, one side gives a little, the other side gives a little and the end result is something neither side particularly cares for but it will work. A divorce attorney once told me that if neither party liked the result it was probably a fair compromise. The same principle holds true in politics!
So, please stop acting like a bunch of 12 year old girls and get your act together. The people of this country are depending on you. This is more than just being right- it’s about being fair and just!
That’s the view from my side of the street, what’s yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment