Monday, October 1, 2012

DIY

My husband loves cake. It is his favorite dessert. My daughters love to bake his cakes for him. They have made him many. Recently we decided to save the expense of mixes and bake them from scratch. We also thought that homemade ones would be healthier since we use fresh wheat flour.


My daughter, Sarah, was okay with this. She made her first ever “cookbook” cake a few weeks ago. There was no problem until she came running outside in a big panic because she couldn’t find any frosting in the pantry. I told her we would make some. Her eyes grew big with wonder- “you mean we can MAKE frosting?’’ she asked. “COOL!”

At the beginning of the summer, I was at a beauty supply store buying my favorite nail polish. A small conversation with the twenty-something sales clerk surprised me. She asked where I went to get my pedicures. When I answered my living room couch she was shocked. Apparently, she had never heard of anyone doing their nails themselves!

So here is a small list of things that many of us still do ourselves at home: pedicures, manicures, haircuts ( ours, children’s and friends), cookies, fried chicken, salads, cinnamon rolls, biscuits, carpet shampooing, learning activities with our pre- school aged children, some of us make candles, mittens, hats, scarves, quilts and other craft type things, we make our own gifts, mixes, french fries, donuts, bread, soup, gravy, pies, puddings, jello, candy, popcorn with a number of flavors (and not in the microwave),pancakes, oatmeal, pretzels, decorating, painting…..the list is endless. The truth is that almost anything you buy or have others do can be made or done by you.

Why do we still do these things at home? The quality is superior as are the health benefits- no additives, we know exactly what has been put in and we can substitute healthier ingredients anytime we want. It is also much cheaper to do it ourselves. But I think the most important reason for me is we make memories that are lasting……the smell of bread rising, the tastes of warm cookies, the sight of a child covered in flour holding up a grubby wad of dough filled with pride, the giggles you share with daughters as you do each other nails. But most of all, the time that doing these things ourselves takes gives us precious moments for sharing thoughts and feelings with each other. My best times with family members have come during “making” moments.

And of course, the best perk of all is making your own fun! It comes in all shapes and sizes but is best when it is homemade!

That’s the view from my side of the street, what’s yours?



No comments:

Post a Comment