Friday, October 5, 2012

"I see faces..."

I love being married for many reasons and the following conversation is one of them. My husband comes out of the bathroom. He is still zipping up his pants when he gets to my desk. “Come here, I have something to show you” he says.


Me: “You usually say that when you are unzipping your pants.”

Him: “No, really, I have something to show you.” He heads back towards the bedroom. I’m still a little suspicious of his motive when he says, “I don’t know if I should show you this. You’ll think I’m crazy.” I assure him that boat already sailed. He turns to me very seriously and says, “I see faces in linoleum.”

I burst out laughing, “You what?!”

Again, in all seriousness, he says, “I see faces in linoleum. I’ll show you.” We enter our bathroom where he proceeds to show me several different “face” patterns. “But this one is the most obvious…anyone could see that!”

I look at it a number of ways and then employ a technique honed by work with numerous children. “Oh, yes”, I say, “Tell me exactly what you see.”

He outlines the shape of a head with eyes, nose, and mouth. I still can’t see it. He shows me where the face has been repeated in the floor pattern. Okay, this is going to take all the tact of a very loving wife. I turn to face him….put my hands on his shoulders……look deep into his eyes………..and say, “Buddy, you spend too much time on the toilet. Get a book!”

After all, isn’t that wives are for? And that’s the view from my side of the street, what’s yours?



No comments:

Post a Comment